Friday, July 22, 2011

Take your pick...

July 16 - the slab is done











July 20 - the framing has begun











July 22 - I haven't even gotten an updated picture of the plywood now enclosing the first floor framing!

It's going up quickly and the estimated timeframe is 3 months, so near the end of September a new house may be completed.

I admit that there are moments where a new house and a new floor plan are exciting...but I also admit (no, I'm not complaining) that this is all extremely overwhelming. Because we didn't "choose" this - we didn't seek out to build a new house - and now because things are moving so rapidly, decisions are having to be sped up as well. I didn't research. I didn't shop around. I didn't explore options. I don't have an idea of what I want. I have no clue at all.

Nor was I prepared for the gazillion decisions that must be made. I'm not kidding. Here's your choice of garage door - it comes in 3 colors with 18 different window options. Then decide if you want hinges or not, and if you choose hinges, what finish will they be?

There are 10 different interior door options but don't forget you have to also choose the hardware - and there are 180 choices of doorknobs. WHAT?! 180 doorknobs to choose from? Who knew what oil brushed bronze was before this week? Not this girl. But now it is the "to die for" decision that could make or break my hardware budget. Sheesh.

Don't even get me started on the kitchen appliances - an argument that has yet to be settled. Do they all need to be the same brand or should we go with each one that Consumer Reports rates as the best? I have my own opinion...

I know this is supposed to be fun - remember, I'm not complaining - but I really couldn't even tell you what the doors or door knobs looked like in the previous house. I think there were panels - I don't know if it was 4 or 6 - and the door knobs might have been silver but beyond that, I'm just not sure.

Oh, and I also found out this week that a kitchen faucet - sink not included - can cost $800. Um, that was an easy decision. No thank you.

Somewhere in the midst of all the decisions is a Sovereign God who reminds me that the hairs on my head are numbered. Praise God He's building my mansion in heaven for me because there's no way I could choose between gold plated or pearl! :)

1 comment:

Joyful said...

Have you considered siging up for direct buy?